IMPORTANT – Photographic ID will be required at registration. Athletes without this WILL not be registered by the start time of the event.
Local for a local club – Join here today https://www.wuussstri.co.uk/
Saturday 10th March 2018
- Registration open from 12AM until 5:30 PM – Margam Park East Lodge.
- Question time – Ask the team any race related questions that you might have 12AM until 5:30 PM
- Beginners Talk and course introduction 5:30PM East Lodge Transition
RACE DAY! 11th March 2018
- 6 AM until 7:30 AM Registration open – ID Required
- 6 AM until 7:30 AM Transition open
- Mandatory race briefing
- 8 AM Race start
- 10:30 AM Prize giving
- 11:00 AM All bikes out from transition
- After race Lunch 2:30 PM location TBC
Please note: There is a parking charge of £5 to park in margam country park.
Here at challenge Wales event we want to make sure you have the best race experience the information below will help you enjoy a stress-free race!
We recommend that all first timers attend the beginner’s introduction taking place on Saturday @ 5:30 PM this will give you the opportunity to ask as many questions as you like.
Please see the FAQ’s tab for more information.
Please see the hints and tips below that will help you enjoy a safe and successful race day.
Can somebody else register for me?
No. For safety & security reasons you must register yourself and bring photo identification so that we can guarantee we are giving the right race number & timing chip to the correct athlete
When do i get my race number and timing chip?
These must be collected at the time of registration upon showing photo ID and a signed copy of the disclaimer.
How much of the race is off road/on road?
Cycling will be on public roads and running will be within Margam country park.
What roads will be closed?
There are no road closures for this event.
Can I wear headphones?
No, we discourage against anyone wearing headphones to race in.
Where do I put my race number?
For the bike section of the course, the number must be worn on your BACK, as well as the bike number being placed on the seatpost, and the sticker upon the helmet. For the run, the number must be worn on the FRONT
Got any questions! Let us know get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duathlon Cymru is run under BTF Guidelines
It is your responsibility as a competitor to know ALL the rules. As in most walks of life ignorance is no defence and the rules are available on www.britishtriathlon.org.
• It is your responsibility as a competitor to know and correctly complete the full course of the event.
• Foul and abusive language is not permitted and the failure to obey a marshal, police or referee will lead to dis-quali cation. Marshals are usually volunteers to help with the running of the event that you are taking part in. Please respect them and thank them for their efforts.
• No outside assistance is allowed at any time.
• Please do not use ipods, mobile phones or any other device that may impair your hearing or concentration anyway on the course (including transition) as this will lead to disquali cation. When racing you need to be aware of other competitors, and the general public both on foot or car.
• You MUST wear a safety helmet on the bike that is of ANSI Z90.4, SNELL B90, EN 1078 or equivalent. A CE mark is not an approved standard. The strap to your helmet must also be snug in its tting and not altered anyway (and de nitely not elastic). These will be checked when racking your bike.
• Any ttings on your bike (computers, mountain bike handlebar extensions) must be positioned so as to prevent injury in the event of a crash. All handlebars and tribars must be plugged. This will be checked when racking your bike and you will not be allowed to take part if they are not.
• You will also need to keep your chest covered at all times on the cycle and the run, no matter how hot it is.
• Bikes MUST be racked on the racking provided using either the seat post, handlebars or brake levers. Bikesmust not be racked anywhere else and anybody not racking this way will be disquali ed.
• Remember to place your equipment, as thrown equipment may interfere with other athletes and lead to a penalty.
• You are not allowed to mark your position in transition with any special device, ag etc and please be careful not to interfere with any equipment of your fellow athletes either deliberately or accidentally.
• Contrary to popular belief the rule is not to have your helmet fastened while you are in contact with the bike only before you move it and until it is back in its slot. However not touching the bike until the helmet is fastened is a good guide to keep you in the right.
• Event numbers must be worn on the back for the bike and on the front for the run and must be clearly visible at all times. They must not be altered or mutilated in anyway otherwise you will be penalised.
• You must not mount your bike until advised to do so at the bike mount/dismount line outside of transition. There must be no cycling in transition.
To all of our volunteers a special thank you – we couldn’t do it without you.
Roles available at challenge Wales Events races are varied and change from event to event. These include:
- Course set-up crew
- Venue set-up crew
- Drink station team
- Bike course marshals
- Run course marshals
- Transition area team
- Transport assistants
- Competitor registration team
- Athlete recovery team
- Athlete chip removal team
- Course pack-up crew
- Venue pack-up crew
All of our volunteers receive event crew kit throughout the season, with some extra goodies thrown in for good measure!!
All athletes must provide their own nutrition – Water, ISO & light refreshments will be available at the finish line
- There will be a number of on site refreshments available. More details will be available closer to the event date.
Please note that we do not have a compulsory kit list. However, please be prepared that in the event of very unseasonal weather you may be asked to carry upper body cover e.g. minimum being a showerproof jacket. Please be mindful of this and check the local weather before race day to ensure you have the necessary kit with you before travelling. You will also be advised at the race briefing on race day on the compulsory kit.
Access to the event is via the East Lodge entrance on the A48 between Margam and Pyle. If using SATNAV or a route finder the post code SA13 2TH can be used.
From M4 Junction 38:
Exit the roundabout onto the A48 heading to Pyle after a mile and a half take the left hand turning sign posted Twyn-Yr-hydd. Follow the signs for Twn-Yr-Hydd until you reach the large carpark facing the mountain.
Margam Park Café will be open throughout the event for runners and their supporters, well stocked with tea, coffee and cake with many locally sourced and fair-trade produce available. So why not pay them a visit!
If you have any questions before race day please get in contact with a member of the team email@example.com
Thank you for entering the 2018 HOKA One One Winter Trail and we cant wait to meet you all in February. We hope that you are all as excited as the team here at challenge Wales and hope that you will continue to be a part of our race history in the future!
If you are unable to nish the event, you MUST report to an of cal and hand back your timing chip.
This event is a non-drafting event. There is a draft zone around each bike that is 3m wide by 7m long* (10m in long distance events). The measurement is taken from the front wheel of the bike to the front wheel of the following bike and centred 1.5m each side of the bike.
If you approach another competitor you have a choice, keep back and stay outside that zone or overtake. If you decide to overtake, you have 15 seconds (30 seconds in long distance events) to get past the cyclist or drop back. The cyclist who you have just overtaken is then responsible for dropping back out of the draft zone.
If you have dif culty visualising the draft zone, just imagine a large family car between your front wheel and the rear wheel of the bike in front of you (please do not test this!).
Drafting is cheating if you are caught doing so you will be immediately DSQ